Sunday, July 13, 2008

Whiff rhymes with....

Honest to God – one of the answers in the NYT’s crossword puzzle today was “spliff.” But that is not the most amazing part. The most AMAZING part was that my better half was not familiar with that word. Wha..wha…what!? Dr. Vocabulary, Dennisimo, the man who went to university in the late 60’s, early 70’s, didn’t know what that word meant.

First, I was excited. Here was something generic that I knew and he didn’t. Then I was a little shocked at my urban knowledge. THEN, I was a little off balance. I mean, that’s not how things work around our house. There is a certain order to things. Himself is in charge of 90% of most things, like cooking, Theatre, words, baseball, Catholicism, Vonnegut, general knowledge, trivial knowledge, etc., etc., and all things St. Louis. Herself only chimes in on finances, forensics, animals, health, information science and all things Disney (although he is beginning to give me a run for my money on Walt.)

There was a disturbance in the force.

Change (no matter how small it is) can be disconcerting. But the one thing I’ve learned is that change is the one thing that is constant. We’ve been married 17 years and we’ve both changed. Luckily, we’ve embraced it and each other and rolled with it. Still, it makes you wonder what’s around the bend. And though I have an attention span that, thanks primarily to theatre schedules, really only lasts, at the most, 6 weeks before I want to be doing something different, I am at heart, more like an old tree - (who likes run on sentences). I like to be still and surrounded by familiar territory. I guess what comforts me most in this chaotic world is that I know who will always be standing beside me.

Himself now stands in the kitchen and says, “So I guess the declension would be – I spliff, you spliff, he-she-it spliffs. And the plu perfect would be ‘I shall have spluffed.’ The imperative would be ‘spluff me now, please’, right?”

All of a sudden I hear Han Solo in my head… “Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

And this is why I love you. Someone's gotta keep him on his toes!

Teri

PS: I too love run on sentences.

Alyssa and Kevin said...

I miss you too!! at least we can keep up with one another on the "inter-google" as my husband calls it. :)

tangobaby said...

Hello from San Francisco,

I just wanted to drop in for a visit and say thank you for linking to me in your Inspirations part of your blog... you are very kind!

I had to smile at this post. Although I do know what a spliff is, I have a Boy at home, whose other nickname is The Professor. He knows a little something about virtually everything. I love that about him.

I'm glad to see that you have one, too.

;-)