Saturday, July 26, 2008

Ergo chair completion!

We are finished with this week’s project. Hurray!

Started with dense foam (which we attached with heavy duty spray adhesive, sprayed on each piece, let dry until tacky and attach – it’s what they always do on HGTV J) then added a thick layer of batting on top of that. So glad I remember seeing someone cut dense foam with a serrated knife - it was so easy - like butta! The batting, well, that wasn't quite so easy, but we got it done.

Then got out the electric staple gun (which in my book is sent straight from heaven – I sometimes secretly desire a pneumatic one – do they even make those? I could be quite dangerous to myself and others with that!). Gotta get those corners right. We had little tufts of fake fur floating all around us.

Dennis was in charge of all sanding, tightening, staining, tung oiling , etc., which he did in the evenings when the temperature went down to the upper 90’s. Welcome to the dog days of Texas summer heat. He used a dark walnut stain to work with the "chocolate" part of the color scheme. He wasn’t sure how it was going to turn out on composite material. He’s pretty much a wood snob – loves working on an old piece of furniture to give it a new life. He was however, pretty happy with the way it finished out.


And then finally the completed product. Functional with just the right touch of funky. See my previous post for the before pic.


Speaking of Dennis, we got him set up in the blogsphere this morning. Check out Curmudeongly Rants when you get a chance. Who knows what will set him off!


Later,
Mel



2 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Melanie!

Nice to meet you and thanks for your comments on my blog!
I added you to my blogroll too!

Jen r. said...

It turned out great! Isn't it nice to get something done and off of your list! :) Jen R